Button class

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
radimpl

Re: Button class

Post by radimpl »

Hi Chris,

I sent you an email. Please answer me.

Radim
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Radim,

Will do, but I am swamped with other things at the moment, and creating the sample you requested needs some time. But then again, maybe someone else has one already, so let's give you a quick answer here and somebody else might respond sooner:

About what to use for GUI, standard winforms from scratch or implement the XBase++ GUI functions and classes with underlying Windows Forms controls and about still using the XBase++ syntax or the more clean X# one, it's completely up to you. Personally I would prefer to avoid having to make changes in my existing code, so I would choose the way of keeping the old syntax for the existing code and for the GUI and after the port of the app is complete, I would start using directly X# syntax and new standard WinForms for new stuff in the app, or even slowly replacing some of the old code with new (it's absolutely no problem mixing old and new style in the same app). But that would be my personal preference, yours might be different, so I'd suggest to research and test a bit more with all options and decide what suits you best.

In any case, yes of course X# development is (VERY) active, we are fixing problems and implement new functionality literally every day. The SQLRDD is a relatively very new development aspect of X# and will take some time to fully implement. It's just a matter of priorities and available time, what most X# developers (subscribers) request the most takes the highest priority.

Regarding data browser controls, I'm sure porting the one you are already using is doable, I just don't know how much effort it would require, before seeing the actual code. If you want to use already existing controls, there exist many options, like using the built-in in .Net DataGrid or DataGridView controls, or some 3rd party browser control, like the very sophisticated ones that come with the Infragistics or DevExpress control suites.

As for a sample, you can create a new Win Forms app in VS, drop a DataGridView control on the form from the toolbox and you can start experimenting with its functionality. For filling the table with data from a dbf, you'd need to create a DataSet object, populate it with standard dbf reading code and assign the DataSet to the grid control and it will automatically display it.

If anybody following this discussion already has such a sample, can you please share it for Radim to have a quick look? Thanks in advance!
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Chris, hi Radim,
this is very simple Windows Forms application that shows a DBF in DataGrid:
WinformDBF.zip
(4.19 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
This file is a XIDE applicatication export file - no VS.
I have several samples, and maybe I have to polish and document them and put them somewhere.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it